Discord Screen Sharing & Video Calling – All You Need To Know
Ever since its release way back in 2015, Discord has transformed into one of the most important communication tools for gamers. Being introduced as a sweet voice & popular text chat app, Now Discord can include up to 9 of your closest friend with an equally awesome and clear video and screen sharing experience.
It was created, originally for the gaming community but has since expanded its way into multiple platforms like MacOS, Linux, Android, etc. It has a similar function like Skype bringing gamers with similar interests together. The app is secure, fast, and is not going to squeeze out the resources on your phone or PC. The popularity has risen tremendously with more than 250 million active users and there are very good reasons for it. In this article, we will be providing you with all the necessary information regarding Discord and it’s features-particularly Video Calling and Screen Sharing.
Creating a Server:
- Open discord app and click on the large Plus sign at the left side of the interface.
- Now a box appears with two options-Create a Server and Join a Server. Choose the Former.
- You can provide your server with an appropriate name and select your region as well.
- Your new server is now created and you can choose it from the left side of the screen.
- You have to ask the person for their discord tag. The tag is a username followed by a # with a 4 digit code.
- Next, login to Discord.
- Now select the add friends option at the top left.
- You can send the friend request.
- If the request is accepted, you can see them.
More resource – Click here
Video Calling/Screen Sharing:
Before we begin a video call we need to configure some settings. Follow the steps mentioned below.
- Firstly make sure that your hardware like microphone and webcam is connected.
- Open the settings page by clicking the cog button to the right of the username.
- Choose “App Settings” and select “Voice and Video”.
- Go to the video settings section and choose your video camera. You can adjust the video controls here.
- You can make sure everything is fine by using the help of the” Test Video” option.
- If you are using a browser version of the app then you should enable camera access.
- Click allow to give access.
Adding Members to Call List:
- Go to the homepage and click on the friend’s tab
- You can see a list of friends. Click on a friend’s name.
- A window will open. You can begin the video call by clicking the video call icon.
During a group video call, you can focus on a particular user, by clicking their user avatar. Thus you will put their video into focus while moving others into a marquee in the right. The process can be repeated, to change the focus again.
Now if you decide to switch to another server or DM screen, your video changes to a picture in picture view. You can move the window wherever you like. Video options can still be viewed in the window. The icons for screen sharing and video calls can be found in the lower right.
Video Calling and Screen Sharing Features in the mobile version:
The interface for the mobile version is slightly different from that of the desktop version. Hence, let us look at some of the features available.
- Audio Output(iOS) – This option allows you to switch your audio output from the iPhone’s speakers to a wireless headset. You can find this icon at the top right of the screen, near the Switch Camera icon. The icon is similar to a speaker-oriented in a downward-right direction.
- Toggle Camera – You can guess the function by the name itself. It is used to toggle cameras on or off.
- Toggle Mute – You can mute or unmute your mic by tapping this option in the bottom center of the screen.
- Choose the friend with whom you want to share your screen with.
- Now click on the phone icon next to the name of the person.
- Once the call interface opens, upturn on the screen share option which is the monitor icon on the left.
- When the screen share window pops up to choose your screen, located right in the middle portion of the entire screen.
If you have Discord nitro which is a subscription service, you can opt for higher resolution and higher FPS.
Sound Sharing While Screen Sharing
A cool feature of Discord if that you can enable sounds while sharing the screen. This is very helpful when you need to communicate. To do so all you need to do is to toggle the sound option in the Application Window.
Creating Permissions to Roles:
Since you are the creator of the server, you don’t need any role, as you have complete access to everything. If needed, you can also create custom roles.
- Near the server name, you can find an arrow. Click it.
- Choose the server settings and click on Roles.
- For a newly created server, there will only be one role: @everyone. This enables permissions for every single person in the server even if they have no other roles.
- Select the ‘+’ sign to create a new role.
- After you have created the role, you can assign permissions to it.
- From the server settings, choose the members tab.
- Choose the member for whom you want to assign a role. Click the + sign near their name and from the drop-down box, select a role.
Mute vs Ban Vs Block vs Kick:
Mute- A person who has been muted cannot speak on a voice channel but will still be able to hear the conversation.
Block- a blocked person will not be able to communicate with you but will be able to view your messages and see your online status.
Kicking- kicking means completely remove a person from the channel or a server. However, they can join again if invited.
Ban-Ban is the highest form of sanction. A person whose banned cannot rejoin a server again.
How To Ban a Person:
- Find the person’s username and click on it.
- From the context menu, choose ban.
- Provide a reason for the ban.
Actions for blocking and muting are similar. Just choose appropriate actions from the context many.
In this article, we have provided you with all the necessary information regarding Discord including Video Calling and Screen Sharing. If you have any queries regarding the content of the article, do write to us.