Discord is one of the most popular VOIP and chatting app among gamers and computer users alike. It offers various useful features to its users which make it quite popular among the gaming community. Not only you can talk & Chat with your friends, but you can even join different Discord servers.
While the Discord client is built pretty well with a great user interface, you can still face some issues while using it. One of such errors which are usually faced by a number of Discord users is that Discord microphone not working.
What causes Mic not Working Issue in Discord?
Before we take a look at all the possible fixes which you can use to get rid of this problem, let us know more about this error. Because if you know what can cause such an error on Discord in Windows, you will be able to fix this issue Quickly.
One of the most obvious reasons behind this error is your computer having hardware issues. Not only your microphone can be broken, but the connector of your motherboard can also be damaged. Similarly, if the drivers of your Windows PC are corrupted, you might not be able to use the microphone.
Apart from that the Discord client also has various microphone related settings. And if any one of these settings is not correct, then your mic might not work.
Even some outdated software also can leads to discord mic not working issue.
Hence we need to try every possible method to fix this issue, till we not confirmed which actually causing an issue to your mic. Let’s dig into it.
Also, check- Fix No Route Error On Discord
How to Fix Discord Mic not Working in your Windows PC?
Since there are various possible reasons which might cause this issue on your PC, there is no fixed solution which you can follow in order to fix it. Instead, you have to go through various possible fixes for getting rid of this issue from Discord. Each one of these methods takes a different approach towards this error found in Discord. And if you go through all of them, you will be able to successfully fix this issue. Therefore, if you are also having microphone issues while using Discord on your Windows computer, then make sure to go through the following solutions one by one:
1. Update Microphone Drivers in your Windows PC via Device Manager
All the hardware devices connected to your PC come with their own driver which you have to keep installed. This means that the microphone which you are using with your PC also has a driver in Windows. These drivers are responsible for providing communication between the hardware and software of your PC. Because of this, if this driver is either corrupted or outdated, you might face issues. In such a case, the best way to fix this issue is to update the microphone driver on your PC. Doing so will fix any issues with it in Discord or any other program in Windows. You can follow the given instructions one by one to successfully update microphone driver via device manager in Windows 10:
- First, press Windows Key + X on your keyboard and open Device Manager.
- In here, expand Audio inputs and outputs to see all the audio devices connected to your PC.
- After that, right-click on your default microphone device and select Update driver which will open a new window on your screen.
- In here, select Search automatically for updated driver software. Doing so will make Windows check for any driver updates and download them. Once this driver update is installed, you will not face any issues on your PC due to corrupted drivers.
2. Run Discord as Administrator on your Windows PC
If you are facing issues with any program installed on your PC, then running it as administrator is one of the most common solutions. This means that if you are facing microphone issues in Discord, then you can try doing the same. Thankfully, Windows allows you to run any program as an administrator without any issue. And once you run Discord as an administrator, you should not face any microphone issues. If you also wish to do the same on your PC, then you can follow the given steps one by one to run Discord as administrator:
- At first, right-click on the Discord icon in the taskbar and select Quit Discord. This will close Discord on your PC so that we can change its settings.
- After that, press Windows Key on your keyboard and use the Windows Search feature to search for Discord.
- Finally, click on the Run as administrator option in here which will run Discord on your computer with administrator privileges. Doing so will most likely fix any microphone issues that you are facing on your PC.
3. Choose the Correct Input Device in Discord Settings
Almost all computers have multiple microphone devices some of which are virtual. But not all of these actually take audio from your physical microphone. Due to this, if the incorrect microphone device is being used by Discord, then you might face issues. Thankfully, Discord allows you to switch between any of the microphone devices connected to your computer. You can simply try out all the microphone devices available in your PC. This can be done quite easily within the Discord settings by following this step by step guide:
- To start, open the Discord client on your Windows computer.
- After these, go into the Discord setting using the gear cog icon in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Now, go into the Voice & Video menu from the left side menu where you will find all audio related settings.
- Once you are in the Voice Settings section, click on the Input Device option which will show you all the available microphone devices on your computer.
- Finally, select all of these microphones one by one and keep clicking on the Let’s Check option for each microphone. Once you have selected a working microphone device, simply close Discord settings. Now your microphone will work flawlessly while communicating via Discord.
4. Disable USB Suspend Setting in Power Management
This method is for those who are using a USB microphone with their computers while using Discord. Windows has various power saving option for mobile devices like laptops and tablets. And one of these options is the USB Suspend Setting in Power Management. It essentially disables the USB ports of your computer for power savings. While this option is great for extended battery life on laptops, the same cannot be said for desktops. Not only that but sometimes this option can even disable USB ports even when you are using a device. This means that if this setting is enabled on your computer, your USB microphone might not work properly with Discord. In such a case you can disable USB suspend setting in power management by following the given instructions one by one:
- First, open Control Panel on your Windows PC using Windows Search.
- In here, go to Hardware and Sound settings and open Power Options.
- After that, click on the Change plan settings option next to your currently active profile. Now click on Change advanced power settings which will show you various options.
- In here, find USB settings and expand it to find USB selective suspend setting.
- Finally, make sure that this option is Disabled and click on OK to save your settings. After this reboot your computer which will fix any microphone issues in Discord.
5. Switch to Push to Talk Input Mode in Discord Settings
Discord offers two input modes for the microphone in its settings which are Voice Activity and Push to Talk. By default, the Voice Activity input is selected which can cause issues sometimes. In this input mode, the microphone does not get activated until a certain level of loudness. Because of this, if you have a really quite microphone, it will not get activated at all. In such a case you can switch to Push to Talk which essentially activated the microphone on the press of a button. And Discord allows you to choose any key on your keyboard for this. If you also want to switch to Push to Talk in your Discord Settings, then you can follow the given steps one by one:
- At first, open the Discord client on your Windows PC.
- Now, open Discord Settings on your computer using the gear cog icon present in the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Once you are in the Discord settings, go to Voice & Video menu where you will find all microphone related settings.
- After that, select Push to Talk under Input Mode settings in Discord. After that click on the Shortcut option to select the key which you want to use for activating the microphone in the Discord client.
We hope that you’ve found this article useful and successfully fixed Discord Mic not Working. In case you liked this article, then make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding any of the solutions, feel free to ask any queries in the comments section below.