Ever since its release way back in 2015, Discord has transformed into one of the most important communication tools for a gamer. But One of the prevalent problems occurs usually and that is Discord won’t open error. Nothing will happen when you try to open by clicking on it, and the app remains unopened. Sometimes a blank screen appears when you try to start the app. There could be many reasons for this error.
Steps To Fix Discord won’t open Error
Some users tried to fix this by rebooting the computer and also reinstalled the app. But most of the times this didn’t work. In that case, you need this article to fix your problem with various methods to fix it. The way to find which one is yours is simply by going through all the solutions given in this article below. So get ready to fix your problem by using some simple tactics.
Method 1 – By Ending Discord Task
First of all, there is a high probability that there is a problem inside the app itself. So, this can be corrected by web developers only. In case, there is any systemic fault; then you can fix this by manual optimization. This is the simplest way to fix this error. You can use any of the Task Manager or Command Prompt to fix this. For task manager method, you have to follow these steps:
- First, you have to open task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc from the keyboard.
- Now find and select Discord process under the Apps section.
- After this click on End Task button.
Now try to launch the Discord app to check if it worked or not.
There is an alternative way to end the task using the Command prompt. Follow these steps using Command Prompt to tackle the problem:
- First, you have to open Command Prompt by entering cmd in the Run command box.
- After opening command prompt window, type this line in it taskkill /F /IM discord.exe and then press Enter
- Now try to open the Discord app again.
Method 2 – By Using the Web version of Discord
If the above method does not work then you can check this one. It doesn’t seem to make any sense for some of you, but yes, it works. The users came to know that this issue is fixed when they used the web version of Discord. There was no need to login in some cases. You can follow several simple steps to fix this:
- Visit the official website of discord app and open Login page from the top right corner.
- Login to your account by entering email and password.
- Now try to start the Discord app and check whether it worked or not.
Method 3 – By Changing Date/Time
Is there any relation between Date and time settings and Discord app? The answer is Yes. Sometimes the time and date of your system cause problem of this error. It can be removed by using some basic knowledge of computer settings. It really worked for some users by optimizing Date and settings. You can successfully change it by following this step by step guide:
- Firstly, you have to press Windows and I button simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Now find Time & Language option and click on it. A new window will open up.
- Here you’ll see on/off button under Set Time Automatically. Turn it on if it is off.
- Now try to start the app again.
Method 4 – By Scan to Detect Corrupt Files
In some cases, the root cause of this error is found to be the presence of corrupted system files. These files sometimes affect the working of various applications (discord in this case) and are capable of shutting them down. So, this can be the cause in your system to improper working of the app. You can fix this situation by using command prompt and giving a command to it. Follow these steps respectively to scan the system:
- Enter cmd in the Run command box and press enter.
- As the command prompt window opens, type sfc /scannow in it and press the enter button.
- All corrupted files will be shown on the completion of the scan. Fix them.
- Now try to start the app and check if it worked or not.
Method 5 – By Clearing Local AppData
There are many hidden folders of every application in Windows File Explorer. These folders contain app settings, files, and their specific data. So you try to fix this problem by deleting these local AppData files from your computer and reinstalling the app. This method found success in many cases to fix this error. To apply this, you have to follow this step by step procedure:
- Open Run command box from the start button on the desktop.
- In here, you are needed to enter %localappdata%. Now press the OK button.
- Many files will be shown on the screen, and now you have to find Discord folder.
- Delete that folder and try to start the app again.
Method 6 – By Changing Proxy Settings
If the problem persists, then go through the method of changing Proxy settings. Proxy gives you better access to the internet with a secure connection. Sometimes it is responsible for the error of Discord won’t open. When working of the proxy server is obstructed, then Discord all app will not work. To fix this, you have to follow these steps one by one:
- Go the control panel window by searching it.
- Now click on Network and Panel. A new window will be shown.
- Then find Internet Options click on it. A new window will open again.
- Then go to the Connections tab and press the Lan Settings button.
- Now you have to see Automatically detect settings and check whether Use a proxy server for your LAN is unchecked.
- After going through all steps, try to start the Discord app.
Method 7 – By Flushing DNS
DNS stands for Domain Name Server. Its primary function is to convert the domain names into IP addresses to make it accessible for the computer. In this way, it is indispensable to establish a smooth internet connection. Some times these settings get corrupted and make it cause discord won’t open error. But we can fix it by using command prompt for optimizing the DNS settings. To complete this method, you have to follow these guidelines:
- Open Run window through the start button.
- Here enter cmd and press the OK button.
- Now type ipconfig/flushdns in command prompt window using the keyboard. And press Enter
- Now let the processing happen and wait for its completion.
- After going through all these steps, try to open the Discord app to check whether the problem is fixed or not.
Method 8 – Other Methods to Fix
If any of the above methods did not work, then there are a few more simple ways to fix Discord Won’t Open. Some of them are:
- Update your Discord app if it is not.
- Reinstall the app and try to start again.
- Check whether the window is genuine and up to date.
- Check any malicious file present your system.
I think you probably found this article relevant and successfully fixed Discord won’t open error. If you liked this article, then please make sure to share it on social media. If you have any doubts regarding these methods, you can contact me through email provided on the website.